Shared Buffer Size

From: preetika tyagi <preetikatyagi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Shared Buffer Size
Date: 2011-05-27 19:36:35
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi All,

I am little confused about the internal working of PostgreSQL. There is a
parameter shared_buffer in postgres.conf and I am assuming that it is used
for buffer management in PostgreSQL. If there is a need to bring in a new
page in the buffer and size exceeds the shared_buffer limit, a victim dirty
page will be written back to the disk.

However, I have read on many links that PostgreSQL depends on the OS for
caching. (http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html#shbuf)

So my question is, the actual limit of the shared buffer will be defined by
OS or the shared_buffer parameter in the postgres.conf to figure whether a
victim dirty page needs to be selected for disk write or not?

Thanks!

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: David JohnstonDate: 2011-05-27 20:48:42