Re: Problem trying to compile PgAdmin

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Timwi <timwi(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem trying to compile PgAdmin
Date: 2011-05-27 15:47:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Timwi <timwi(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On 27/05/2011 16:16, Dave Page wrote:
>>>
>>> All the VS 2010 developers are not much of a gain? If you say so...
>>
>> VS 2010 users are more than capable of using 2008 as well I imagine.
>
> I tried to offer my help with this project. I already had to jump through
> two hoops (one to download git and get the damn thing to check out the
> files, and two to post on this mailing list). Everyone has a point at which
> they stop jumping through hoops for you because it’s not worth it for them.
> At that point, you lose the contribution they would have made. Is that what
> you want?

Using an extremely popular source control system is a hoop to jump through?

>> Well I wish you good luck, but you asked what to do about the error
>> and I told you the likely cause and fix.
>
> Except that everyone else will similarly have to post to the mailing list
> and jump through the same hoops as I. A “fix” is something that removes the
> hoop.

By that reasoning I should also jump through hoops and spend my time
making the code compile in any random compiler that people might want
to use.

The reality is, upgrading the compiler used by the project has serious
consequences on the project that you obviously don't fully understand.
Will we upgrade somewhen? Yes. Will we offer assistance to people who
want to spend their time on making other compilers work? Yes. What we
won't do is jump through hoops to make things work in a new
environment just because someone doesn't want to use what is
recommended.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com