Re: [HACKERS] DOCS: SGML identifier may not exceed 44 characters

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DOCS: SGML identifier may not exceed 44 characters
Date: 2011-05-31 15:52:32
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Brendan Jurd's message of mar may 31 02:17:22 -0400 2011:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was working on a little docs patch today, and when I tried to
>> `make`, openjade choked on an identifier in information_schema.sgml,
>> which is very much unrelated to my changes:
>>
>> openjade:information_schema.sgml:828:60:Q: length of name token must
>> not exceed NAMELEN (44)
>
> Odd.  I tried it here and it doesn't fail -- same openjade version.
> Maybe mine is patched.

It's not likely an issue of how OpenJade was compiled; there has been
a limitation in how SGML parsing was configured. If you poke around
in /usr/share/sgml, you should find some configuration indicating
NAMELEN was set to 44.

I recall hearing that this was an issue in older Red Hat and
derivative distributions, and thought that it was supposed to be
resolved several years ago, but perhaps there's something to undermine
that belief.

At any rate, I'd suggest grepping around for NAMELEN in
/usr/share/sgml; you'll likely see a limitation there, in some SGML
configuration file.