Re: Discussion - Search Objects

From: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Discussion - Search Objects
Date: 2011-06-14 23:03:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

please take another look on it. The UI should work correctly now.

Linux make files should also be correct now.

Thanks,
Jasmin

2011/6/12 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>

> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 19:12 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
> > Attached a patch for searching objects in a database. I've added most
> > of the objects, except operator-objects. I don't think that we need
> > them.
>
> I think we do. They are objects just like any others.
>
> > non-pgsql object types (edb, slony,..) has to be added by somebody
> > else - i don't have those products installed or in use.
>
> Understandable. I face the same issues from time to time.
>
> > I've also changed two methods in frmMain:
> >

> > 1. The node path is trimmed now.
> > 2. SetCurrentNode is now more intelligent. during recursion every node
> > is partially checked against the given path. if the path is wrong the
> > recursion stops and the next child will be checked.objects are now
> > expanded automatically as requested by the given path.
> > 3. GetNodePath is public now.
> >

> > to search, right click on a database and select search object.
> > clicking on a result will expand the given node.
>
> Works with many objects' type, but doesn't work for FKey. I suppose this
> is because your search the name of the fkey in the tree but fkey are
> displayed in a special way.
>
> > if the object type is not shown in tree (options) the result is grey
> > and nothing happens when clicking on it.
> >

> > i will also add ability to search for a user, group, role and
> > tablespace, but first i'd like to know what you think.
> >

> Would be good.
>
> Your patch, at least from a user point of view (meaning I didn't check
> the code), seems good. I found two issues:
>
> * not able to find a fkey (see above)
> * really bad UI (I see the combobox only partly, and the dialog is not
> resizable... the latter is no big deal, I can take care of that
> afterwards, but the first one makes it not commitable).
>
> > you'll have to add the new files (frmSearchObject.h,
> > frmSearchObject.cpp, frmSearchObject.xrc) to your solution, because
> > I'm developing on VS 2010 and it doesn't make sense to send you the
> > solution file. linux users will hopefully know, what they have to
> > do ;-)
> >

> See patch attached for linux compatibility. Not really a hard work.
>

> --
> Guillaume
> http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
> http://www.dalibo.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-From-todo-list-Ability-to-search-a-database-for-obje.patch application/octet-stream 23.0 KB
0002-Search-Added-missing-objects-outside-database-object.patch application/octet-stream 17.8 KB