Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory
Date: 2011-05-05 19:35:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Kevin Grittner
> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I doubt that anyone wants the current behaviour.
>
> Current behavior would be an exact fit for a few use cases we have.
> Attempting to salvage some portion of the data on startup after a
> crash would yield it unusable for the uses I have in mind.  It would
> have either all be there, or all gone.
>
> That's not to knock use cases others may have, just providing a data
> point.

Those words have been taken out of context, leading to what looks to
me like a confusion.

..by "the current behaviour", I was specifically talking about the
problem raised by Rob Wultsch upthread about RAM disks, not anything
else.

I have proposed a new and additional behaviour for 9.2 on hackers,
though the two points are unrelated except for its me making them
both.