Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, andrew <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, cbbrowne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, greg <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-21 15:43:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote:

>> > I agree.  I am in favor of a shorter release cycle.
>>
>> I'm not.  I don't think there is any demand among *users* (as opposed to
>> developers) for more than one major PG release a year.  It's hard enough
>> to get people to migrate that often.
>
> In fact, I predict that the observed behavior would be for even more end
> users to start skipping releases. Some already do - it's common not to
> upgrade unless there's a feature you really need, but for those who do
> stay on the 'current' upgrade path, you'll lose some who can't afford to
> spend more than one integration-testing round a year.

Well, that aspect of the problem doesn't bother me, much. I don't
really care whether people upgrade to each new release the moment it
comes out anyway. It would require us to keep any
backward-compatibility hacks around for more releases, but we're
pretty good about that anyway. 8.3 broke the world, but the last few
releases have been pretty smooth for most people, I think.

Not to say that there aren't OTHER problems with the idea...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company