Re: time-delayed standbys

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: time-delayed standbys
Date: 2011-04-20 11:24:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> While I was out at the MySQL conference last week, I heard that one of
> the forthcoming MySQL features is "time-delayed replication":

Incidentally, this is a popular Oracle feature. It's a poor man's
"flashback" and similar to how some filesystems automatically create
regular snapshots of every home directory so you can get back stuff at
some arbitrary point in the past.

I haven't read the patch but are you delaying delivering the log or
delaying replaying it? I think you actually want the latter so in case
of a real failure you can choose between replaying the last 5 minutes
and recovering everything or intentionally dropping that history if
the failure was caused by an application problem.

--
greg