Re: Plperl trigger variables no longer global

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plperl trigger variables no longer global
Date: 2011-05-05 02:53:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 16:20, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This seems to be broken by
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=ef19dc6d39dd2490ff61489da55d95d6941140bf
> (Set up PLPerl trigger data using C code instead of Perl code.)
>
> Im not sure what the right fix is. Copying what
> plperl_call_trigger_func() does for _TD ("get_sv("_TD", GV_ADD); ..."
> into plperl_create_sub() does not seem to work.

Just a small clarification, this only breaks when running under use strict;.

After playing with it a bit more I see 2 clear options:
1) make $_TD global like %_SHARED. This should not cause any problems
as we make $_TD private via local() before each trigger call. Also pre
9.1 non trigger functions could still access and check the definedness
of $_TD so if someone was relying on that (for whatever unknown
reason) that will work again.

2) revert the optimization

#1 is very small and I don't see any downsides (maybe we should local
$_TD before regular perl calls as well??). Find it attached.

Attachment Content-Type Size
plperl_fix_td.patch text/x-patch 865 bytes