Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-30 02:26:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com> wrote:
>  Anyone interested in the tracker, please visit
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/TrackerDiscussion and add your
> feedback/input.

I think this illustrates exactly what we *don't* want to happen with a
bug tracker. We want the discussion to stay *here* not on some other
medium accessible only through the web and editable only through a web
interface....

Also your summary seems to have missed the point on the "has email
interface" requirement. The table of features you listed has just
"Creation of bugs via mail interface" as the only feature that is
accessible from email.

I'm not sure what Robert meant but I suspect he meant what I would
want which is the ability to add comments, close bugs, set other
properties, etc. By email. My biggest gripe about bugzilla was that it
sent you an email with updates to the bug but you couldn't respond to
that email.

My ideal bug tracker is the debian one which basically stays out of
your way and lets you cc any message to a specific bug at
nnnn(at)bugs(dot)debian(dot)org which archives that message in the bug and sends
it to anyone listening to the bug. And you can have control commands
to close it or edit it -- basically making all our existing "that's
not a bug bleah bleah" messages into "close nnn; that's not a bug
bleah bleah" messages.

--
greg