Re: [ADMIN] pg_class reltuples/relpages not updated by autovacuum/vacuum

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Florian Helmberger <fh(at)25th-floor(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] pg_class reltuples/relpages not updated by autovacuum/vacuum
Date: 2011-05-29 17:19:00
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I am sorry if I sounded terse above. But my gripe is that sometimes we
>> are too reluctant to listen to ideas and insist on producing some hard
>> numbers first which might take significant efforts. But we are not
>> equally strict when such changes are introduced initially.
>
> The reason for not wanting to change it without some actual evidence
> is that there is already evidence: the code has been in the field with
> this setting since 8.4, and nobody's vacuum performance has fallen off a
> cliff.

Well, that's probably because there was definitely much improvement
over what existed before. But that does not mean we can't make it
better. IOW there are no complaints because there is no regression.

> So while I'd agree that there was little testing done before the
> code went in, there is more than zero reason to leave it where it is.
> Without some positive evidence showing that another value is better,
> I'm disinclined to change it.  I also think that you're not helping
> by complaining about the code without being willing to do some work
> to try to collect such evidence.

I am not complaining about the code. I am suggesting we can be more
receptive to ideas, especially when we know what we have today was not
backed by any evidence either. I will anyways do some tests and post
numbers when I work on single-pass vacuum patch. I'll try to
experiment with this stuff at that time.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee