Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-20 14:15:27
Lists: pgsql-www

As most of you will know, the pgFoundry system is in dire need of a
huge amount of work. It's running an extremely old version of GForge,
which has been hacked about to run on FreeBSD and is almost certainly
full of potential security issues. In order to bring the system up to
date we would need to do at least the following:

- Figure out what functionality changes our version has over the latest release.

- Install the latest version of GForge on our new hosting platform.

- Re-implement the code changes, if still required.

- Figure out how to migrate all the user accounts and related data
from FreeBSD to Debian.

- Figure out how to migrate all the data from the old system to the new.

We've had numerous attempts in the past to do this *before* we had the
new hosting platform, all of which failed miserably, due to the lack
of people with the time and interest in doing the work.

Following some discussions last night at PGCon, I'd therefore like to
propose that we deprecate and eventually shutdown the PGFoundry
service. This would involve:

- Emailing all users with the details of the shutdown timetable.

- Suggest users migrate to GitHub or Sourceforge, depending on their needs.

- Migrate "core" projects (such as psqlODBC and the press/advocacy
project) to mailing lists in postgresql.org (if required) and to
git.postgresql.org.

- Offer other users tarballs of their CVS repos, mail archives and downloads.

- After 6 months, shut down the system and permanently archive it.

Comments?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com