Re: BUG #6021: There is no difference between default and empty access privileges with \dp

From: Grzegorz Szpetkowski <gszpetkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6021: There is no difference between default and empty access privileges with \dp
Date: 2011-05-12 22:49:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs
What about changing empty value in \dp (\z) to {} when priviliges are
really empty and leave column empty for default priviliges as it works
now. I mean the same behaviour as in relacl column in pg_class catalog
? It sound simplest for me:

empty string - default privileges
{} - no privileges
{postgres=arwdxt/postgres} - some privileges

"If the "Access privileges" column is empty for a given object, it
means the object has default privileges (that is, its privileges
column is null)."

from: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-grant.html

I agree that "default" sounds more descriptive than "", but empty
string works for me too (especially with clear documentation on that).

Regards,
Grzegorz Szpetkowski