Re: Building PDFs error: \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building PDFs error: \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
Date: 2011-04-06 02:15:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Thanks for looking into this further. Both the -US and -A4 PDFs are
>> still failing for me on a recent git checkout including your change to
>> catalog.sgml.
>
> Hmph.  HEAD does build both US and A4 sizes for me, using current Fedora
> 13 docs toolchain.  But given what we now know, it could be sensitive to
> fairly small deltas in the toolchain, since any small change in spacing
> decisions might create or remove a problem.
>
>> I looked around line 1390679 of postgres-US.tex-pdf, where I saw this
>> snippet from seg.sgml:
>>        (spaces around the range operator are ignored)
>
> Well, you're getting a lot further anyway ;-).  But it's real curious
> that you seem to be hitting these more easily than anyone else ever has.
> I wonder if there's something about your toolchain that makes the issue
> more probable.

As a belated followup, I'm now able to get at least postgres-A4.pdf to
build successfully on this Ubuntu 10.10 machine (I haven't tried
postgres-US.pdf yet.). There have been a fair number of system updates
in the past few months, including some recent ones related to texlive
I noticed the other day. Hopefully the stars will stay aligned, but
I'll keep an eye out against this stuff breaking again.

Here's a summary of the Ubuntu packages I have installed now, with
version numbers from 'apt-cache show packagename':
* docbook 4.5-4
* docbook-dsssl 1.79-6
* docbook-xsl 1.75.2+dfsg-5
* openjade1.3 1.3.2-10