Re: BUG #5768: Inefficiency of large offsets should be mentioned on SELECT documentation page

From: Pavel Arnošt <pavel(dot)arnost(at)loutka(dot)cz>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5768: Inefficiency of large offsets should be mentioned on SELECT documentation page
Date: 2010-11-30 11:27:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi,

by "LIMIT and OFFSET" page I meant
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9/static/queries-limit.html, it has "LIMIT
and OFFSET" heading. At the end of the page, there is this sentence:

"The rows skipped by an OFFSET clause still have to be computed inside the
server; therefore a large OFFSET might be inefficient."

This sentence should also appear on the SELECT page
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9/static/sql-select.html). Maybe it could
also more clearly state that paging with LIMIT and OFFSET over large data
set is slow and that user should use WHERE > and LIMIT instead of OFFSET and
LIMIT.

Regards,
Pavel Arnost