Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

From: Niklas Johansson <pgmailings(at)codecraft(dot)se>
To: Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-10-28 23:05:59
Lists: pgsql-general
On 28 okt 2008, at 23.41, Tom Allison wrote:
> I can get postgresql installed in three flavors:
> EnterpriseDB has a dmg package for Mac.
> macports has their own package.
> fink also has their own package.

You also have the fourth, most delicious flavor: build it yourself;
PostgreSQL compiles nicely on Mac OS X. I've never had any reason to
regret not using a package manager yet.

> I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and
> multiple installs.  After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3
> installed in order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.

Do you mean that Macports installed different versions of Postgres
because the other packages had different dependencies? Don't know if
compiling from source would help you there, but surely there must be
some way to tell the package manager that a certain dependency
already exists, albeit somewhere else?

Sincerely,

Niklas Johansson