Re: make speed and dependency

From: Adam H(dot)Pendleton <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make speed and dependency
Date: 2003-05-30 03:13:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Not unless we want to manually track dependencies, which is how the
linux kernel currently works. I would venture to say that a make dep
&& make for the linux kernel takes the same amount of time as a plain
make would if the kernel automatically tracked dependencies. Currently
the make process only builds those sources which are out-of-date, so
while the initial build may take some time, any subsequent, incremental
builds, should be much faster. Manual dependency tracking would
require re-running 'make dep' each time you made a source change.

ahp