Restoring single database from an export dump of a cluster

From: "Bhella, Paramjeet" <PBhella(at)Motorola(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Restoring single database from an export dump of a cluster
Date: 2007-04-05 21:13:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

In our production environment we use pg_dumpall to backup all the
databases of a cluster as there are 200+ databases in a cluster. Some
times there is a situation where we have to restore a single database
from a cluster. According to the postgres docs there is a pg_restore
utiltity which can be used to restore individual tables, schemas,
databases etc. But pg_restore requires the pg_dump to be in archive
format. With pg_dump we can use option -Fc to make the dump in non-plain
text format but I cannot use -Fc option with pg_dumpall. Is there a way
to import a single database from an export dump of a cluster? Your help
or guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Paramjeet Kaur
Professional Services and Motorola Broadband Solutions Group