Re: BUG #5753: Existing Functions No Longer Work

From: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: vince maxey <vamax27(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5753: Existing Functions No Longer Work
Date: 2010-11-16 21:52:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> /*
>
> you cannot to fetch data from function that returns a refcursor.
>
> refcursor is varchar - name of some object (cursor). when you open
> cursor, then you can specify a name (it's refcursor), but when you
> fetch data, you must to use a direct sql identifier of cursor - not a
> reference.
>
> simply, you can't to write
>
> fetch all from function(parameter);
>
> */
>
> Please explain to me then why my application works.
>
> You are speaking to me entirely in abstract, where I have provided
> you with
> several concrete examples of functions that work when called from
> the java
> application.  I also provided you evidence that using the terms in
> your
> documentation do not work.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Again, I'm imploring you both:  Use the data I provided to create a
> test table.
> Create the function I have created (test_proc and test_proc1) and
> run it or
> re-write it so that it works and please provide that back to me
> along with the
> syntax I should use to make it work.
>
> Please, prove your documentation applies to my data because as it
> stands from my
> perspective your documentation is fairly poor in explaining how to
> write and
> call functions, considering they are a fairly common tool for
> developers and
> DBAs.  Why can I not Google for postgreSQL function examples?  I
> submit it might
> be for this reason: perhaps people stay away from them because they
> have flaws,
> either in how they have been communicated or in how they are
> invoked....
>
> I've worked extensively with SQL Server, IBM, Sybase and Oracle.  I
> know how to
> write and test stored procedures.
>

> I'm telling you that something is different between 8.1 and 9.0 and
> all you are
> offering are conceptual excerpts from your own documentation.
>

> Please put it back to me using my data and you might get some
> insight into what
> could be tweaked with your documentation so that it can be more
> intuitive and
> functions used more often....

Vince - is there any chance that you were using a non-standard
PostgreSQL distribution or driver before?  Like something from
EnterpriseDB?  It may be that a third-party JDBC driver was doing some
behind-the-curtains work on your behalf.

		-- Korry

Korry Douglas
Senior Database Dude
EnterpriseDB Corporation