Re: Newbie basic and silly question

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: sconeek(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie basic and silly question
Date: 2006-03-01 02:50:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Feb 22, 2006, at 14:04 , sconeek(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> now my understanding is that sql is a db language which is used by
> both
> mysql and postgres.

I think this wikipedia entry will clear up a lot of your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL

> also mysql is a subset of postgres. a lot of
> features in postgres come from mysql.

No. PostgreSQL and MySQL are different database management servers
(DBMS) (with completely different origins) that both support the SQL
language. Other DBMSs include Firebird, MSSQL Server, DB2, and Oracle.

I'm sure there are other Wikipedia entries that may help you as well.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com