database slowdown while a lot of inserts occur

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: database slowdown while a lot of inserts occur
Date: 2012-03-29 17:59:12
Lists: pgsql-performance
PostgreSQL 9.0.x
We have around ten different applications that use the same database.  When one particular application is active it does an enormous number of inserts.  Each insert is very small.  During this time the database seems to slow down in general.  The application in question is inserting into a particular table that is not used by the other applications.

1)      What should I do to confirm that the database is the issue and not the applications?

2)      How can I identify where the bottle neck is occurring if the issue happens to be with the database?

I have been using PostgreSQL for eight years.  It is an amazing database.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
217-333-0382

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Campbell, LanceDate: 2012-03-29 18:02:47