ODBC vs. Connect String

From: "Richard Sorensen" <RSorensen(at)seawave(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC vs. Connect String
Date: 2004-02-17 01:22:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

We have a Postgres database running on a Linux server that needs to be
accessed as part of a Windows-based client application. For testing, we
are using the psqlODBC tools and creating DSNs on Windows workstations,
but for customer installs I would prefer to avoid the creation of a DSN,
and instead open the database directly with a connect string, as can be
done with other database systems. In other words, I would like to have
the Windows app install procedure only install and registers the
necessary Postgres dll's, and not have to create any ODBC entries.

1. Can this be done? If so:

2. What would the connect string look like? and

3. Which files do I need to install and register for Postgres access?

Rich Sorensen