Re: jdbc driver performance TODO

From: "Strong, David" <david(dot)strong(at)unisys(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jdbc driver performance TODO
Date: 2006-10-31 15:47:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Here's an observation about the JDBC driver, but I'm not sure if it's
practical to implement. After preparing a statement, the driver still
sends out a describe message either via the sendDescribeStatement () or
(most likely) the sendDescribePortal () method calls in
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl. However, as the statement has
been prepared, it's unlikely to change and so the results of the
sendDescribeXXX () could be requested once and then cached with the
prepared statement.

Of course, if any tables referenced by the query where changed, the
prepared statement would be caching the original structure. Although,
I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be as changing a table's
data types etc. might cause code to break anyway.

I don't see a direct way to turn off the metadata, perhaps I'm missing