Re: Unicode vs SQL_ASCII DBs

From: Culley Harrelson <culley(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode vs SQL_ASCII DBs
Date: 2004-02-01 00:51:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 31, 2004, at 7:32 AM, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

> 4) I'm not initially expecting arabic, chinese, cyrillic or other
> language
> types to be stored in the database. But if they were, would UNICODE be
> the
> best encoding scheme to use for future proofing the data?

If there is a remote chance that you might ever need CJK support you
should start now with unicode encoding. Switching the encoding of your
database is a major, major pain. I have a SQL_ASCII database that I
wish were UNICODE but the conversion is such an ugly undertaking that I
haven't even tried.

culley