Re: First article in France about PostgreSQL v8

From: "Javier Soltero" <javier(dot)soltero(at)hyperic(dot)net>
To: "Francois Suter" <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>, "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First article in France about PostgreSQL v8
Date: 2005-01-12 15:06:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Francois,

> By the way, what is it exactly that Hyperic's software does?
> I coulnd't get past the marketese stuff on their web site
> (please, Hyperic guys on the list, don't take offence).

<Sorry, I had sent this reply a few days ago before I realized my
subscription to this list was w/ an address different than the one I was
sending with>

None taken, tho I hope for our sake more folks can get our message.
We'll be releasing a new website here in a few weeks which should be a
lot easier to grok.

As for what our software does... Hyperic HQ is an IT management
framework used to manage many different types of technologies
(PostgreSQL included) from a single web portal interface. HQ provides
inventory auto-discovery, monitoring, control, and integrated alerting
for the entire stack (machine level-> software level-> component level).
HQ uses PostgreSQL as its built in database, which it ships for Win32,
Linux, Solaris, and HP/UX. We've been shipping PostgreSQL as our backend
database since 8.0 beta2, and have had extraordinary success signing up
customers for our solution. Prior to including PG, our only database
alternative was Oracle, which was a significant limiting factor for the
growth of our platform.

As a side note, today we released HQ 2.0 which includes PostgreSQL 8.0
RC4. HQ 2.0 has a completely revamped GUI, and a number of other
scalability improvements which really show off how well PostgreSQL can
match up to other products like Oracle. I invite everyone to check it
out!

I hope the brief blurb clarifies this for you, and for all the other
folks on the list who are curious. I'll also take the opportunity again
to thank the PG dev community. Hyperic is proud to support Postgres, and
will continue to do so since our product is bringing awareness of PG to
folks who may have otherwise not known much about it.

-javier