Re: PHP libpq Version != Actual PGSQL Version

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PHP libpq Version != Actual PGSQL Version
Date: 2006-03-29 18:32:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mar 29, 2006, at 11:42 AM, <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
<operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> is this a problem (are there any effects? do i lose
> 8.1 functionality or security?) do i need to monitor
> when php5 incorporates 8.1 libpq and upgrade php again
> or is it not too big a deal since my winxp service
> claims to be pgsql 8.1.
>
> ps - this is on my winxp dev box.

libpq 8.0 should be able to talk to PostgreSQL 8.1 without any
problems. As far as features/security goes, you would have to check
the differences between 8.0/8.1 libpq.

I think you'll be better off monitoring PHP's PostgreSQL functions
and upgrading when there are changes you want. In particular, PHP 5.1
adds support for PostgreSQL prepared statements which is a big win
for both security and functionality.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL