Re: BUG #6201: Windows User Log Off Causes Backend Exception 0xC0000142

From: Jerome Schulteis <Jerome(dot)Schulteis(at)edstrom(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6201: Windows User Log Off Causes Backend Exception 0xC0000142
Date: 2011-09-12 15:02:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

This was on a VirtualBox VM with no antivirus; originally seen on a real machine running ESET 4.0.

> Do you have a Logitech webcam? Their webcam effects app adds a hook DLL
> to every process on the system, and I've seen it cause issues with MinGW
> among other things before.

There is no webcam on the system.

> If you launch a trivial process like "notepad.exe" then launch Process
> Explorer from SysInternals, select notepad.exe and press control-D to
> show the DLL list, what non-Microsoft DLLs are shown? You can copy and
> paste the list.

All of the DLLs for notepad.exe are either Microsoft or .nls.

> If you examine a running postgres.exe backend (one of the processess
> listed UNDER the main "postgres.exe" which is the postmaster) the same
> way, what non-Microsoft DLLs are shown there? Note that you may have to
> run Process Explorer as administrator to view the DLL list for
> postgres.exe. Ignore any DLLs ending in ".NLS" .
>
> For bonus points, verify each Microsoft DLL as having a valid signature
> by double-clicking on it in the list, and report any DLLs that fail
> verification.

All Microsoft DLLs verified. The following are all of the non-Microsoft non-.nls DLLs:

iconv.dll LGPLed libiconv for Windows NT/2000/XP and Windows 95/98/ME Free Software Foundation 1.9.0.0
libeay32.dll OpenSSL Shared Library The OpenSSL Project, http://www.openssl.org/ 0.9.8.12
libiconv-2.dll LGPLed libiconv for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista and Windows 95/98/ME Free Software Foundation 1.12.0.0
libintl-8.dll LGPLed libintl for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista and Windows 95/98/ME Free Software Foundation 0.17.0.0
libxml2.dll
postgres.exe PostgreSQL Server PostgreSQL Global Development Group 9.0.4.11104
ssleay32.dll OpenSSL Shared Library The OpenSSL Project, http://www.openssl.org/ 0.9.8.12
zlib1.dll zlib data compression library 1.2.3.0

> --
> Craig Ringer

Thanks for looking into this.