Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2006-01-01 20:14:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Jan 1, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> For the user in referred to thread: SSH tunnelling. I wonder if
> there's
> a way we can make that easier to setup...

Making this easier and transparent would be nice, but I would still
vote to allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf.

SSH tunneling implies another level of software, user accounts, and
permissions. It would be nice to handle the entire sphere of users
and permissions from within PostgreSQL. For database access
requirements, I would much rather allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf than
provide SSH access.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL