Re: Windows 64 bit

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>,"posgres support" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows 64 bit
Date: 2008-03-19 18:46:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
I just read the following article:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/mha/index.php?/archives/162-PostgreSQ
L-vs-64-bit-windows.html

Would there be benefits in running PostgreSQL in a 32 bit mode on a 64
bit version of XP?   My thought is that the OS could access more of the
memory for the caching of the files.  I come to this understanding
because on my production Linux box, I don't allocate more than a 2 Gig
to PostgreSQL.  I leave the rest of the memory available for the caching
of disk files.  So even though PostgreSQL would be running in a 32 bit
mode it seems like it would still run better on a 64 bit XP box compared
to a 32 bit version.  This of course assumes that one does have a
sizeable database.

Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell