Putting files into fields in a table

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Putting files into fields in a table
Date: 2007-12-13 19:10:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
PostgreSQL: 8.2

I am looking at the possibility of storing files in some of my database
tables.  My concern is obviously performance.  I have configured
PostgreSQL to take advantage of Linux file caching.  So my PostgreSQL
does not have a large setting for shared_buffers even though I have 24G
of memory.  The performance today is very good.

Some questions I have:

What data type should I use for fields that hold files?

Is there anything that I should be aware of when putting files into a
field in a table?

When PostgreSQL accesses a table that has fields that contain files does
it put the fields that contain the files into the shared_buffers memory
area?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois

217.333.0382

http://webservices.uiuc.edu

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2007-12-13 19:20:43