Enhancement request

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: "posgres support" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Enhancement request
Date: 2007-11-30 19:46:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Could you please add to your to do list a schema parameter for vacuum?

Example:

VACUUM SCHEMA xyz;

PostgreSQL would get a list of all of the tables found in the schema.
It would then loop through vacuuming each table in the schema.

I found today that I did not have max_fsm_pages set high enough in order
to vacuum the entire database. I vacuum daily to avoid problems. After
realizing that I cannot vacuum the entire database now, I then had to do
it at the table level. I had to go through all 13 of my schemas and
list each table I found into an SQL vacuum script. This was a real
waist of time. I will eventually restart PostgreSQL with an increased
value for max_fsm_pages so this will not be an issue.

But until then I will have to run a new script. I created a script with
420 SQL vacuum statements at the table level. I would have preferred to
create 13 vacuum SQL statements at the schema level.

Thanks for considering this enhancement,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois