Re: Increasing pattern index query speed

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Increasing pattern index query speed
Date: 2008-11-26 19:40:30
Lists: pgsql-performance
Richard,

> And the results were?

Results are provided in bottom of the message to which you replied.

> One problem at a time. Let's get the pattern-matching speed problems on
> your live server sorted, then we can look at different queries.

First message in this thread described the issue with query having
additional condition

AND dok.kuupaev BETWEEN '2008-11-21' AND  '2008-11-21'

It seems that this problem occurs when pattern matching and BETWEEN
conditions are used in same query.

According to Scott Garey great recommendation I added

ALTER TABLE rid ALTER COLUMN toode SET STATISTICS 1000;

This fixes testcase in live server, see my other message.
Is it OK to run

ALTER TABLE rid ALTER COLUMN toode SET STATISTICS 1000

in prod database or should I try to decrease 1000 to smaller value ?
rid is big increasing table and is changed frequently, mostly by adding
rows.

Andrus.