Re: Updatable Views

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updatable Views
Date: 2007-11-28 05:01:18
Lists: pdxpug
On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:00, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   The Douglas^2 book has only a couple of pages on views, and my
> partner's
> research taught him that postgres does not support updatable views.
> This
> surprises me.
>
>   Our application will need to support multiple locations. Some
> users need
> to be restricted to viewing/adding/editing data for only a single
> location,
> while other users are more interested in consolidated information.
> We were
> thinking that each site could be presented to the user as a view with
> restrictions appropriate for his/her access level. But, that does
> not seem
> to be an option.

Following up on what Jeff said, check out my OSCON presentation on
using rules on views to simplify object-relational mapping:

   http://kineticode.com/docs/polymorphic_database_design.pdf

>   Are there quick and easy ways to accomplish this with postgres?
> Apparently, MySQL5 fully supports views as functional as base tables.

MySQL's updatable views work great, as long as they are views of only
a single table. At least, that was true last time I checked.

Best,

David