primary key and insert

From: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: primary key and insert
Date: 2008-12-11 23:27:59
Lists: pgsql-admin
I created this table:
   Column   |          Type                   | Modifiers
    ------------+------------------------+------------------------
   first_name | character varying(20)  |
  last_name  | character varying(30)  |
 w_number   | character varying(9)    |
      alert      | character varying(200) |
  post_date  | date                           |
       id         | integer                       | not null
    "alert_list_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
I get this error when I run the insert a listed below. The insert does not have an entry for the primary key "id" since I thought it updates automatically:
Warning: pg_query() [function.pg-query<http://finaid46.finaid.wwu.edu/lan/student_alerts/function.pg-query>]: Query failed: ERROR: null value in column "id" violates not-null constraint

$sql = "INSERT INTO alert_list (
                      w_number,
                      first_name,
                      last_name,
                      alert,
                      post_date
                  )
                  VALUES (
                      '$txtStudentNumber',
                      '$txtStudentFirstName',
                      '$txtStudentLastName',
                      '$txtStudentAlert',
                      'now()'
                  )";
How do I do an insert on this table and have the primary key "id" update with the record?

thanks

Marc

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Steve CrawfordDate: 2008-12-12 00:39:43