Re: [pgsql-advocacy] News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy

From: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org> <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Marc G(dot)Fournier <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy
Date: 2004-02-17 09:50:15
Lists: pgsql-www
On Feb 17, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> Agreed. Very nice.

>> David, I noticed your news feed points to us19 rather than
>> the main server...
> David runs us19...

Aheam yes well I did it locally just to avoid any possible trouble or
let's say as a test :D

>> just curious if there was any reason why?  I am thinking if
>> we could set up we could make
>> that a public news feed that folks could pull from.  It would
>> also be included in the mirror system if someone
>> needed to pull a local feed (though it would be slightly
>> delayed).   The only
>> question I would have is how does this fit in with the web
>> code rewrite / translation stuff?
> Yes, I guess it may need modification. Having said that though - would
> it be easier to keep it on the main server and generate the feed
> directly from the database? At least that way it wn't be affected by
> Alexeys work.

  As long as you have the news in a database, the feed generation
package is one single script. Then you need to add a cronjob and you
are done.
Of course it might not be a priority so it can wait. No hurry from my
side ;)

In the meantime I could do the feed for the mailing lists.  Oh ...I
also need to find the time to finish my postgresql articles
I think the feeds fits well in the advocacy project. I know many
developers with a blog or newsfeed aggregator. I suspect they would be
pleased to add the pgsql feed.

  In fact many of the leading website are now generating a lot of
traffic via the feeds. Just think about 100 then 1000 websites
displaying the official feed.

We might also shake up the guys at O'Reilly to add it somewhere.