Re: [pgsql-advocacy] News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy

From: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org> <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Marc G(dot)Fournier <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy
Date: 2004-02-17 09:50:15
Lists: pgsql-www
On Feb 17, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Agreed. Very nice.

:)

>> David, I noticed your news feed points to us19 rather than
>> the main server...
>
> David runs us19...

Aheam yes well I did it locally just to avoid any possible trouble or
let's say as a test :D

>> just curious if there was any reason why?  I am thinking if
>> we could set up www.postgresql.org/news.rss we could make
>> that a public news feed that folks could pull from.  It would
>> also be included in the mirror system if someone
>> needed to pull a local feed (though it would be slightly
>> delayed).   The only
>> question I would have is how does this fit in with the web
>> code rewrite / translation stuff?
>
> Yes, I guess it may need modification. Having said that though - would
> it be easier to keep it on the main server and generate the feed
> directly from the database? At least that way it wn't be affected by
> Alexeys work.

  As long as you have the news in a database, the feed generation
package is one single script. Then you need to add a cronjob and you
are done.
Of course it might not be a priority so it can wait. No hurry from my
side ;)

In the meantime I could do the feed for the mailing lists.  Oh ...I
also need to find the time to finish my postgresql articles
;)
I think the feeds fits well in the advocacy project. I know many
developers with a blog or newsfeed aggregator. I suspect they would be
pleased to add the pgsql feed.

  In fact many of the leading website are now generating a lot of
traffic via the feeds. Just think about 100 then 1000 websites
displaying the official postgresql.org feed.

We might also shake up the guys at O'Reilly to add it somewhere.