Re: Encoding issue (utf8): different strings received from java than from PGAdmin

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Marc Mamin *EXTERN*" <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encoding issue (utf8): different strings received from java than from PGAdmin
Date: 2007-04-06 07:39:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> The PG Database, the PG Client and java allworks in UTF8 context.
>
> create this postgres function that just write the input
> parameter in /opt/<pgdata>/pg_log/:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.raisecode(v character varying)
[...]
> RAISE WARNING 'raisecode output: %',v;
[...]
> 2) call "select raisecode('$§Kü§$')"
> from a postgres client like PGAdmin
>
> 3) call the same statements from within a java application:
> conn.createStatement().execute("select raisecode('$§Kü§$')");
>
> compare the output in pg_log:
>
> 2 => $§Kü§$
> 3 => $çKüç$

I tried, but cannot reproduce your problem.

Try to examine all the strings involved with 'od -c' and see where
your results differ from mine:

'od -c' on my Test.java and Test.class contain:

s e l e c t r a i s e c o d e
( ' $ 302 247 K 303 274 302 247 $ ' )

'od -c' on my log file contains:

r a i s e c o d e o u t p u t