Re: Best suiting OS

From: Axel Rau <Axel(dot)Rau(at)chaos1(dot)de>
To: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best suiting OS
Date: 2009-10-06 10:26:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

Am 05.10.2009 um 23:44 schrieb Karl Denninger:

> Axel Rau wrote:
>>
>> Am 05.10.2009 um 20:06 schrieb Karl Denninger:
>>
>>> gjournal, no. ZFS has potential stability issues - I am VERY
>>> interested
>>> in it when those are resolved. It looks good on a test platform
>>> but I'm
>>> unwilling to run it in production; there are both reports of
>>> crashes and
>>> I have been able to crash it under some (admittedly rather extreme)
>>> synthetic loads.
>> How do you prevent from long running fsck with TB size ufs
>> partitions?
>> I had some hope for zfs13 and fbsd 8.0.
>>
>> Axel
> Turn on softupdates. Fsck is deferred and the system comes up almost
> instantly even with TB-sized partitions; the fsck then cleans up the
> cruft.
Last time, I checked, there was a issue with background-fsck.
I will give it a chance with my new 8.0 box.
Do you have any experience with SSDs w/o BBUed Raidcontroller?
Are they fast enough to ensure flash write out of drive cache at power
failure after fsync ack?

Axel
---
axel(dot)rau(at)chaos1(dot)de PGP-Key:29E99DD6 +49 151 2300 9283 computing @