R: R: DELETE queries slow down

From: "Galantucci Giovanni" <Giovanni(dot)Galantucci(at)italtel(dot)it>
To: "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: R: R: DELETE queries slow down
Date: 2007-09-19 09:46:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

No, I perform a single DELETE for about 80000/100000 rows at a time.

Yesterday I tried to raise the parameter default_statistics_target on the file postgresql.conf, setting it to 50 (previously it was set to 10) and everything went ok.

It seems that postgres needs some time to adapt itself to sudden changes in the way I use the DB, maybe to adapt its planner to the new way of use. I think that tuning this parameter could be enough to help postgres update it's planner faster.

Do you think it could be reasonable?