Re: Patch: psql \whoami option

From: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: Martin Atukunda <matlads(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Date: 2010-01-27 14:06:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Jan 27, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Martin Atukunda wrote:

> How about using the psql prompt to convey this information? IIRC the
> psql prompt can be configured to show the hostname, server, port and
> other fields. Wouldn't this be enough? or am I missing something?

Prompt customization is certainly something that could be done (and I
use in my .psqlrc), but consider someone unaware of the psql prompt
customization or people who are not using their own setup/account,
etc.  This is a command that could be useful for anyone; as experts,
we tend to miss some of the holes in the current interfaces.

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen