Where to find libpq.lib? Or How to link to libpq using windows VS

From: "Crystal BEWZA" <cbewza(at)mdacorporation(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Where to find libpq.lib? Or How to link to libpq using windows VS
Date: 2009-07-15 01:33:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,
I am trying to develop a windows C++ client for PostgreSQL (v8.3.7)
using the libpq library. I am using Visual Studio 2003.

My problem is that I am unable to find libpq.lib or the libpq-fe.h in
the files installed on my machine with the prebuilt binary package. Was
this some sort of installation error or were these files not included in
the binary release? I am however able to find the libpq.dll. Is there
a simple way to use this .dll file to link my c++ program? I have tried
a couple of work arounds for this but I suspect there is a
straightforward answer that might not be clear to me as a newbie
postgres user.

In addition, because I was unsuccessful at using the .dll file provided
by the prebuilt binary package I also tried following the "Building
libpq with Visual C++ or Borland C++" instructions in section 16.2 of
the documentation but I am unsuccessful with this as well. This is the
error I get.
C:\PostgreSQL\postgresql-8.3.7\src>nmake /f win32.mak

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

cd include
if not exist pg_config.h copy pg_config.h.win32 pg_config.h
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'if' : return code '0x1'
Stop.

I hope that I have provided you enough information. Any guidance is
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Crystal Bewza