Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date: 2009-08-19 16:34:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Yeah. PostgreSQl lacks «availability, security and performance
>> qualities
>> of enterprise class databases» which MySQL obviously has.
>>
>> Whoever inventented this bullshit must have been paid a serious
>> amount
>> of money from somewhere.
>
> No, it's actually a combination of other things, mostly that I
> didn't have any time to follow up with Forrester this spring, and
> nobody was available to help.  Sometimes the fact that we're an OSS
> project and not a company with full-time marketing staff bites us
> on the tuchas.

Have we looked at paying someone to be responsible for PR? I'm not
thinking a PR firm or anything, but someone in the community who is
actually charged with being responsible for dealing with PR. That
would mean we don't have to worry about the "outside world" not
having a point of contact, and we would also be able to make sure we
have case studies and what-not.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel(at)decibel(dot)org