CREATE ROLE

From: Russell Denney <r_denney(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CREATE ROLE
Date: 2006-12-19 20:41:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
OS X 10.4.8
postgres 8.1.5

I am about as novice as you can get, just installed postgres. Very
little experience with db's, but you gotta start somewhere.

Logged in as postgres, I created a role as Superuser. psql returned
CREATE ROLE.
When I enter \du it lists the new role, however, createdb and
createrole are listed as "no". I thought superusers bypassed all
permissions?

When I \q, psql returns "could not save history to file "/Users/
postgres/.psql_history": Invalid argument". Of what significance is
this at this point and how do I correct it?

When I log in to the OS as the new role name and attempt to start
psql it tells me the role does not exist. I tried this with and
without  the -U flag. Any clue as to what is going on?

I looked in the online manual, but was unable to find what I needed.
Does'nt mean it's not there, I just could'nt find it. If someone
would point me to documentation that explains it , I would appreciate
it.

BTW, anyone using OS X and postgres in the Tampa area? Being as green
as I am, I thought who better to write a tutorial, so future Mac
novices might find their way to using postgres. Having someone in my
area sure would be helpful.

Thanks for your help,

Russ

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Frank BaxDate: 2006-12-19 21:27:03