PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2

From: David E(dot) Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2
Date: 2008-07-06 06:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Jun 27, 2008, at 18:22, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Please find attached a patch adding a locale-aware, case-insensitive
> text type, called citext, as a contrib module.

Here is a new version of the patch, with the following changes:

* Fixed formatting to be more like core.
* Added appropriate NEGATORs to operators.
* Removed NEGATOR from the || operator.
* Added hash index function and operator class.
* The = operator now supports HASHES and MERGES.
* citext_cmp and citextcmp both return int32.
* Changed // comments to /* comments */.
* Added test confirming láska'::citext <> 'laská'::citext.
* A few other organizational, formatting, and pasto fixes.
* Updated the FAQ entry on case-insensitive queries to recommend
citext (it would, of course, need to be translated).

Stuff I was asked about but didn't change:

* citext_cmp() still uses varstr_cmp() instead of strncmp(). When I
tried the latter, everything seemed to be equivalent.
* citext_smaller() and citext_larger() don't have memory leaks, says
Tom, so I added no calls to PG_FREE_IF_COPY().

Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions!

Best,

David