Re: SSD database benchmarks

From: Guido Neitzer <lists(at)event-s(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD database benchmarks
Date: 2008-04-29 20:00:37
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 29.04.2008, at 12:55, Greg Smith wrote:

> This is the best write-up I've seen yet on quantifying what SSDs are
> good and bad at in a database context:
>
> http://www.bigdbahead.com/?p=37

They totally missed "mainly write" applications which most of my
applications are. Reads in a OLTP setup are typically coming from a
cache (or, like in our case an index like Solr) while writes go
through ... So you might get some decent IO from the SSD when the
database just started up without caches filled, but as long as your
cache hit ratio is good, it doesn't matter anymore after a couple of
minutes.

Nevertheless it's an interesting development.

cug

--
http://www.event-s.net