Re: Transaction is read-only in auto commit mode

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Asok Chattopadhyay <asok(at)dreamapps(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction is read-only in auto commit mode
Date: 2006-09-27 05:45:46
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:26 PM, Asok Chattopadhyay wrote:
> My application based on Java servlets was running fine with version
> PostgreSQL 7.x, but started giving error: "transaction is read-
> only", in version 8.0 and 8.1. I am using Suse Linux 9.3/PostgreSQL
> 8.0 or Suse Linux 10.1/PostgreSQL 8.1. I am using JDBC 3 drivers
> and all connections are in auto-commit mode. Could you please tell
> me what's going wrong. Strangely, I looked through all the postings
> in all the forums but could not find a mention of this problem. Am
> I doing something exttremely stupid or has something  changed in
> version 8 onwards that's causing this problem? The error appears
> sporadically, not always but quite frequently. I am using the
> standard postgresql.conf, except that I had increased the shared
> buffers and working memory sizes.

Something is creating transactions in a read-only mode, though it's
not clear why that would change from 7.4 to 8.0 (or were you using
something even older?) I suspect it's an abstraction layer trying to
be cute and getting things wrong, but that's just a guess. Turning on
query logging should provide insight.