Re: Why our counters need to be time-based WAS: WIP: cross column correlation ...

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why our counters need to be time-based WAS: WIP: cross column correlation ...
Date: 2011-02-28 21:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Like replacing each statistic with a series of time-based buckets, which
> would then increase the size of the table by 5X to 10X.  That was the
> first solution I thought of, and rejected.

I don't understand what you're talking about at all here. I think
there are a lot of unsolved problems in monitoring but the one thing I
think everyone is pretty clear on is that the right way to export
metrics like these is to export a counter and then have some external
component periodically copy the counter into some history table and
calculate the derivative, second derivative, running average of the
first derivative, etc.

What's needed here is for someone to write a good mrtg/rrd/whatever
replacement using postgres as its data store. If you're monitoring
something sensitive then you would store the data in a *different*
postgres server to avoid Tom's complaint. There may be aspects of the
job that Postgres does poorly but we can focus on improving those
parts of Postgres rather than looking for another database. And
frankly Postgres isn't that bad a tool for it -- when I did some
performance analysis recently I actually ended up loading the data
into Postgres so I could do some of the aggregations using window
functions anyways.

--
greg