Doubt with role creation

From: Manuel Rivero <trikitrok(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Doubt with role creation
Date: 2010-10-18 09:24:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi

I'm trying  to create a new role doing:
# CREATE ROLE db_admin WITH CREATEDB CREATEROLE CREATEUSER PASSWORD
'password';
CREATE ROLE

If I check the roles, the new one is there:
postgres=# Select rolname from pg_roles where rolname = 'db_admin';
rolname
---------------
pele_db_admin
(1 fila)

The problem is that when I try to enter psql with this user I get the
following:

postgres(at)linux> psql -U pele_db_admin -W
Password for user pele_db_admin:
psql: FATAL:  la autentificación Ident falló para el usuario «pele_db_admin»

which translated is: psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user
«pele_db_admin»

Why is this happening and how could I avoid it?

May be users and roles are not the same and I must create a user called
pele_db_admin?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Thom BrownDate: 2010-10-18 09:38:23