Re: Extensions support for pg_dump, patch v27

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions support for pg_dump, patch v27
Date: 2011-01-31 03:42:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 18:03, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> After review, I included all your proposed changes, thanks a lot!
> Please find attached a new version of the patch, v29,

Additional questions and discussions:

* "relocatable" and "schema" seems to be duplicated options.
We could treat an extension is relocatable when schema is not
specified instead of relocatable option. Or, If we keep "schema"
option, it would be used as the default schema to be installed
when WITH SCHEMA is not specified.

* "version" field in pg_available_extension might mislead when
a newer version of an extension is available but an older version
is installed. How about returning installed version for "installed"
field instead of booleans? The field will be NULLs if not installed.

* I want to remove O(n^2) behavior in pg_extensions(). It scans
pg_extension catalog to return whether the extension is installed,
but it would be better to change the function to return just whole
extensions and JOIN with pg_extension in pg_available_extensions.
(it's the same technique used in pg_stat_replication)

--
Itagaki Takahiro