Re: gist access methods parameter types

From: Marios Vodas <mvodas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gist access methods parameter types
Date: 2010-09-27 15:13:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Have you looked at PostGIS?

Yes ofcourse, I also read everything in postgresql official documentation
plus http://gist.cs.berkeley.edu/pggist/opcltour.html.

> Yeah, I still don't think that's the right way to do it.  Storing the
> bounding box seems right, but just do that for all the nodes.  It's
> probably worth looking at the implementation of these functions for,
> say, the existing point, box, and polygon datatypes, which have
> similar issues.

I intend to change the structure I describe in the future. So if it is not
wrong and harmful to the implementation I want to keep that extra info in
leaf node entries.
I have read src/backend/access/gist/gistproc.c I am aware of what it does.

According to the documentation, no.  It takes a GISTENTRY and returns
> a GISTENTRY.  But you can extract the relevant key out of there.  The
> best way to do this, again, is to look at existing examples, like
> gist_poly_compress.

 Exactly what I am saying. I extract the key out of GISTENTRY of course but
that key has to contain a value of some type. And my question is of what
type if it is a leaf and of what if it is not a leaf entry?
 Thank you for helping.