Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Cristian Bittel <cbittel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session
Date: 2010-08-29 11:05:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 22:59, Cristian Bittel <cbittel(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I still believe this "exit code 128" is related to pgAdmin opened during the
> clossing session on Remote Desktop. I have a Windows user login wich is not
> administrator just no privileged user, it cannot start/stop services, just
> monitoring. With pgAdmin window opened inside my disconected session, as
> Administrator if I "close" the another disconnected session, Postgres exit
> with 128 code.

If the closing of a session on the remote desktop can affect a
*service* then frankly that sounds like a serious isolation bug in
Windows itself. The postmaster grabs the handle of the process when
it's started and waits on that - that should never be affected by
something in a different session.

I think it's more likely that Windows just looses track when you
terminate a lot of processes at once, and randomly kills off something
- or at least *indicates* that something has been killed off.

> Did you reproduce this behavior?

No, AFAIK nobody has managed to reproduce this behavior in any kind of
consistent way. It's certainly been seen more than once in many
places, but not consistently reproducible.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/