Re: [HACKERS] Seeking Mentors for Funded Reviewers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Seeking Mentors for Funded Reviewers
Date: 2011-01-26 19:15:20
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-rrreviewers
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Richard Broersma
<richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:12 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> You're paying the reviewers; are you paying the mentors?
>
> The answer to this question is that we can fund mentor (teacher).  However,
> the amount to fund a mentor would be significantly less that the amount to
> fund a reviewer (student).  The mentors are part of the educational process.

Usually, in an educational process, it's the teachers who get paid,
and the students who have to pay to get educated.  I realize this is
somewhat different because we want to encourage people to get involved
in the project, but it still seems weird.  And I actually kind of
agree with David Fetter.  Aside from the scenario he mentioned (people
who don't get paid stop volunteering, a phenomenon that has been
documented to occur in other contexts), there's also the problem that
people might sign up to get the money but then do a lousy job.  People
sometimes do a lousy job now too, but at least we can count on the
fact that everyone who signs up to do it has some intrinsic
motivation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/books/chapters/0515-1st-levitt.html

--
Robert Haas